Thursday, December 13, 2007

This Week on Webkinz.com

This week I was focusing on building up Magic's living area and her array of stuff. I managed to snag another free plate of waffles for Magic when the Alvin & the Chipmunks movie ad came up again on my screen but that only happened to me one more time this week. (Since the movie opens this Friday, I have no idea how much longer this free waffles promotion will last on Webkinz.com.) For the past few days I have been getting free goo-goo berries for Magic because this week happens to be the Goo-Goo Berry Festival where a giant goo-goo berry floats across the screen at random. If you click on that berry, you get a free berry added to the Dock. I got at least four free berries that way, which Magic loved.




I kept on trying to get a new job with the employment agency only to frequently strike. I tried a variety of jobs with miserable results. At one point the burger job that I had mastered before was available and I flunked that one. The next day I went back to the employment agency where I picked the burger job and I managed to succeed this time while I earned 100 Kinz Cash. I don't know what's wrong with me regarding being able to finish a job. What's really frustrating is that I have to wait at least eight hours before I can try for a new job and I can't even re-try the jobs that I had failed.


I've been playing various arcade games but the payout isn't too great. Even on the Game of the Day, when you can get more Kinz cash than usual, the pay is pretty dismal. The only time I make a substantial amount of Kinz cash is when I play one of Quizzy's quiz games, where I have been known to get as much as a thousand Kinz cash. The only drawback to doing the quiz is that it can get pretty time-consuming, especially if you're trying to amass as much money as possible.


At first the main reason why I wanted a lot of Kinz cash is because I wanted to buy some more major appliances for Magic. I purchased a lovely television set that resembles Cinderella's coach. I'm serious--the cabinet of the TV set looks like a horse-drawn carriage complete with wheels on the bottom. It matches the overall fantasy theme that I have in mind for the home. This TV set also works. If you click on it, you this remote with a button menu where you can select television shows and actually watch them.







I also added a decorated Christmas tree for the home and I even purchased my first article of clothing for Magic--a green Santa hat. She looks incredibly cute in it and the tree is lovely as well. I even purchased a new toy for her, a jack-in-the-box.




Magic even expressed her opinion while I was shopping.



The only problem with my recent purchases is that Magic's room quickly became very crowded.




Well, I clicked on the Map button on the top left side of the screen and found a map of Magic's room along with room for expansion. I discovered that adding extra rooms requires extra Kinz cash. I decided to go with adding two rooms--a large room that would function as a playroom/living room/den/dining room/kitchen and a small room that would be the bathroom. Given the lousy luck I had with getting jobs and the low pay I got playing arcade games, I focused on spending much of my time answering Quizzy the Bear's quizes. I did very well at that, although it did get tedious answering trivia questions for long periods of time. Ultimately I managed to earn enough Kinz cash to add both rooms. I also managed to scrape enough money to add wall paper and flooring to the larger room.


Here is the playroom/living room/den/dining room/kitchen combination room:



I know it looks large and empty at the moment but I will gradually fill it with all kinds of stuff. Here is the new bathroom:



So far I managed to relocate the bathtub to the new bathroom. I ran out of both time and money before I was able to finish decorating it.


I also added an outdoor area. It's weird that when I first started my membership on Webkinz.com, Magic only came with one room and no outside at all. I found it pretty outrageous that I had to spend 1,000 Kinz cash just so I can install an outdoor area. At least there's snow on the ground so Magic can actually have a white Christmas instead of just dreaming about having one. I also bought two garden plots (a tomato plot and a carrot plot) for outside mainly because they were relatively cheap and I'm hoping that the garden will produce healthy food that I can feed Magic with for free so I won't have to pay so much for her food. It looks pretty weird to have tomatoes and carrots growing while the rest of the ground is covered with snow but if my idea of growing food works in the long run, I'm willing to put up with a certain amount of weirdness.




This is the current size of Magic's home:



I would like to buy more things for both indoors and outdoors, especially kitchen appliances. Recently I've learned that the reason why fellow Webkinz.com members have been trading recipies is that one can use them to create meals for a Webkinz pet using kitchen appliances. So I guess that means I'll have to buy kitchen appliances eventually and learn how to cook in a virtual world.


My ambitions will require lots of Kinz cash. I've been reading posts on Webkinz Insider about how to earn money and one answer is to adopt another Webkinz pet and enter that code. Apparently there is a big payout everytime you adopt a subsequent pet and, if you happened to adopt a certain pet while that critter is Pet of the Month, you'll get even more Kinz cash and other free goodies. One can save money by having two or more Webkinz share the same bedroom. The only thing they won't share is the same bed so you'll have to buy a separate bed for each Webkinz pet. Right now I'm still so busy trying to get a handle on Webkinz.com that I don't even want to consider adopting a second or even third pet until I learn more about this unique virtual world.


But, at the same time, I really don't want to spend all of my free time at Webkinz.com. It's just that whenver I spend lots of time playing videogames or hanging around one forum for hours at a stretch, I end up feeling tired and cranky. Last night, when I spent two hours trying to play Quizzy's quiz games just so I can earn lots of Kinz cash, I really felt like I was at the end of my rope. I really don't want to burn out on this too soon after purchasing my Lil' Kinz Unicorn. Now that I got the major stuff purchased (outdoor area, two rooms, bathtub, TV set, Christmas tree), I want to slowly earn Kinz Cash and accumulate stuff. I want to explore the features where you can chat online with other Webkinz owners. I hope that one day I'll find a store that sells the Webkinz Charms so I'll see what that Charms Forest looks like. But I also want to balance this with other things in my life. I don't want to be one of those super-obsessed people who spend long hours online at the expense of relationships and other things in the real world.

No comments: