Thursday, December 6, 2007

Day 3 on Webkinz.com

I spent an hour on that site yesterday while sipping a mug of hot chocolate at a local coffeehouse (it was snowing outside) and I learned one major thing--it is so hard to earn Webkinz money. The first thing I did was try the Employment Agency. I had hoped to be able to get that burger assembly job again but I found out that that position was not available. So I picked one where I had to paint virtual fences in certain color scheme. On the surface it seemed easy but the controls were so wonky that I got no fences painted in the limited amount of time that I had to get the job done. I attempted a retry of the job but I wasn't allowed to try again. I attempted to get another job but I discovered one thing about the employment agency--I am only allowed to work a new job every eight hours. Once my job ends, I have to wait eight hours before I can get another one, which is pretty frustrating.


So I attempted to use the arcade games and quiz contests to earn money and I found that, for the most part, the pay is miniscule. There was one arcade game where I only got one Webkinz bill for every 15 points I got in the game and this game tended to be a low-scoring one. The good news is that I can retry an arcade game over and over again to my heart's content. As for the quiz contests, there are some quizzes that I can only participate in once a day.


But I did manage to snag a freebie for Magic. I saw this ad that was promoting the upcoming computer animation re-make of Alvin and the Chipmunks by offering free waffles.



So I clicked on the ad and I got this pop-up screen:



I kind of groaned when I saw that it was an ad for the official website of the movie. I decided to check it out briefly so I opened a new browser window, typed in the URL, and took a look at the front page where I was so unimpressed by what I saw that I closed that window. When I took a look at the "My Stuff" dock, I saw that a plate of waffles had suddenly appeared.



So I fed the waffles to Magic, who seemed very pleased.



I finally did something about the code that came with that An Air of Mystery bookmark that I purchased at the same time as my Little Webkinz Unicorn. I figured out that I had to go to the Code Shop in order to input any codes that I get with any Webkinz product.



Here is what I got after I entered the bookmark code:



So I went back to Magic's room and dragged the Bookmark Bag from the "My Stuff" doc to the room and I found out that I won a book. All I had to do was to choose which book I wanted. I picked "An Air of Mystery" since that was the bookmark I used to unlock that code.



I began to thumb through my new book and I realized that it's basically a storybook. I didn't read it all the way through because I wasn't in the mood to read a virtual book at the moment so I briefly browsed the pages.





I also got around to installing the new bathtub in Magic's room. It seems strange to have a bathtub and a bed in the same room but, then again, this is an unusual virtual world. I also managed to give Magic her first bath, which was really cute.




Today I managed to buy a table and two cute chairs for Magic's room. This is what Magic's room looked like after being online at Webkinz.com for the third day in a row.





Magic's room is now starting to get that nice homey feel to it.


I decided to skip going to Webkinz.com today mainly because my husband took the laptop for his own use and I have dial-up at home, which is way too slow for that site. It's just as well because I can use a break from that site. I briefly stopped by the local mall because I wanted to see if the latest issue of the free alternative weekly The Washington City Paper had arrived at FYE yet (it hadn't) and I saw a display full of Webkinz. I even saw a chihuahua among the pile of Webkinz, which happens to be the Pet of the Month for December. I briefly thought about purchasing that dog to see what would happen if I did register it during its reign as Pet of the Month until I realized one thing: I've never been into chihuahuas at all. They tend to make annoying high-pitched yappy sounds when barking, they are totally scrawny, and they tend to tremble alot. Once December ends, I would be stuck with something that I would have never bothered with purchasing otherwise. So I put the dog back on the pile and walked out of the store.


There was a major snowstorm yesterday which resulted in a winter wonderland. I took a few brief pictures of Magic's real-life counterpart in the snow early this morning.




I also placed a tiny five-inch doll on the unicorn's back.






In case you're wondering about the doll in the photos, this was one that I purchased from a South Korean-based site called The Orient Doll. This particular doll is known as Ji. The doll came nude with the white wig that you can see in the photos. I painted her face, fingernails, and toenails myself and I also added eyelashes. She originally came with navy blue eyes but I didn't like them too much so I purchased a pair of brown eyes from a different site (I forgot which one). I made the dress by taking a Barbie dress pattern and reducing it by 50 percent. I made the fairy wings out of polymer clay then glued them to the back of her dress. I think this doll would look really cool if I could somehow fashion a necklace that I can strap her into and she would turn into funky jewelry but I haven't gotten around to figuring that one out yet. But this doll does look really cute with the unicorn.

No comments: